Saturday, May 29, 2010

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Part 2

Mail time has become fun here. It's always interesting to see who has sent me a card or a note, and to receive confirmation that people are thinking of you. Sometimes mystery comes, as well.

For one thing, an issue of Sports Illustrated arrived today. It has my name on it. And I did not order it.

There is no clue who did this wonderful favor for me. A benefactor who does not wish credit or thanks. I will be hiring the Pinkerton Detective Agency to track down this new angel, and will be giving the rental sleuth all the scraps of information I can muster to aid in this investigation. I have a sneaking suspicion who it might be.... B.B.?

And a whole pile of new cards! Wow! A beautiful note from Janie! (She's very good at this sort of thing!) Cards from Nancy B, and one from Brenda J that informs me that I am "king for a day." I can only hope that she can convince my bride of this wonderful dream.

Also, a card signed by many students from the past: Karryn K, Conner M, Bob C, Andrew K, Rachel A, Rick R, Zack M, Andrew M, Ashley F, "Dr. O," Adam B, Rick M, Sam B, Chris B, Alex C, Jenn G, Vicki L, Brittany S, Shane D, Zach M, Cody A, Joe G, Justin W, Joe H, Ryan B, Kelsey, Jenna D, Megan F, Brendan M, Amanda G, Travis C, Lisa, Gregory C, Maria M, Dalton S, Tim W, Chelsea A, Marissa D, Alex W, Cody B, Rob B, Rick M, Danielle, Rachael M, Billy K, and Josh S. Enormously touching.

Also included is a wonderful note from a Board of Education member that I will always treasure. Its words bring tears to my bride's eyes.

Today also a phone call from a past superintendant. John, your kind words and support mean a lot here. I will always admire the contributions you made to the world of education. Stay healthy and continue to make them!

Finally, a note signed by Anthony G from Val's FACS (Family and Consumer Science class). I've been invited to one of those famous FACS class luncheons: 1 PM on Friday, June 4. I'm definitely going to attend. It feels like forever since I've been in Tamarac.

Tonight a sumptuous dinner prepared by Nancy B. Incredible! Chicken Divan (just divine!). Rice pilaf. Cole slaw. Food like this just doesn't normally happen at the Peck ranch.

Thanks, everyone, for "going out and making it a great day."


Part 1

This morning, my final chemo treatment this session. Now comes a week-and-a-half of "vacation" before the second round.

I've tried after past treatments to objectively assess how the chemo affects me. It's been difficult, since I've enterred each session feeling poorly to start.

Today is different. I feel better this morning than I have in weeks. What's more, I'm accompanied today by my wonderful nephew and godson, Philip. His wry sense of humor cheers me up. He looks on as the nurse taps my vein and hooks me to the IV. Perhaps the ease with which this procedure is conducted eases his concerns. We talk about college, books, and baseball. As a college pitcher with Division III University of Rochester, his dream is to play in the Cape Cod League in the future. A fantastic goal!

I complain about the lack of sports on Adirondack broadcast radio. All I can get is the Yankees. "That's all you need," he says.

As the day progresses, I get a clearer picture of the effects of the chemo. Frankly, I thought it would be worse. It tires me somewhat, and fogs the brain. Never going to be a day to balance my checkbook or write a best-selling novel, I conclude. Light reading and tube would be best at such a time.

I feel encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment