Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Not a good morning. A crushing headache, debilitating pain in my torso, and, in fact, agony over my entire body. What's the cause?

Well, for one thing, the Mets lost last night. Now we are in last place.

More likely, though, the reason is medical. My first chemotherapy treatment was yesterday morning. A one hour wait, another hour consulting with oncologist, nurses, and schedulers, and almost two hours for my drips. The patience of my wonderful bride is certainly being tested.

Administration of the chemo itself, called Velcade, lasts just a few minutes. For cancer patients who must spend hours under such care, this seems like a break, and it is. Along with this, though, comes a saline solution, plus Aredia, a bone-and-calcium-protecting treatment. This once-a-week drip lasts over one-and-a-half hours. Thank God for historian Joseph Ellis and his brilliant book "American Creation."

I'm gonna learn a lot more history with this disease.

I feel like my treatment went well. Nevertheless, my pain and my middle-of-the-night chills are possible side-effects. I used to feel indestructable. Not any more.

I call my wonderful sister, Katie, the pharmacist. Every cancer patient should have a sister like this.

Yes, she says, I can add some OTC Tylenol to the pile of other medications I'm consuming. After raiding the medicine cabinet, I take a one-hour nap. Some of my students will claim that Peck naps occurred in many of my classes, but this one was in my own bed, and it did the trick. Upon rising, I arrange for some exercise for my garden tractor and mow the lawn. Not bad!

My Patton-like drive to victory over myeloma (VM) continues.

7 comments:

  1. Helloooo from Australia!! Yep - your blog made it to the opposite end of the world after only 2 posts. Pretty impressive. Just wanted to let you know you're in my thoughts and I'm routing for you in this battle! Best wishes!

    ~Rachael Kaschak

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mr. Peck! I'm glad to hear things are headed in the right direction. I also wanted to let you know that I've been thinking about you and sending you good energy. If you would like to use some of that energy and pass it on to the Mets, that is your choice but as we can see, they could use some form of help. Enjoy your reading. Best wishes and happy blogging.

    ~Sara Bender

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ed, your great sense of humor and positive attitude can only contribute to a successful outcome! We will check in daily for your report and humor! Thinking of you, Pat & Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mr. Peck,
    I think that you are one of the natural teachers in this world. Even now, so many years out of your classroom, I am learning from you.
    Sending you much positive energy.
    Heidi Bentley Barcomb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard about your diagnosis from my mom a couple of weeks ago. Kick ass and take no prisoners!! Know my thoughts are with you, particularly whenever I hear a Beatles song. Or a Beatles reference. Or try to remember the correct spelling of picnicking (the dastardly word that lost me the 8th grade spelling bee).

    Best,
    Sheila Turner, '86

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ed, I heard through FB about your diagnosis. You are truly one of the best teachers I had the pleasure of knowing at Brittonkill. My best to you and Donna and have faith that you may win this battle. You certainly deserve the best! I will keep you in my prayers.
    Best, JoAnn Powers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ed, Thinking of you and sending you healing thoughts. Peggy

    ReplyDelete