Monday, May 17, 2010

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Friends,

My major appointment with my oncologist was concluded on Thursday, May 6. Much of what I heard was favorable, but not everything went my way. My original diagnosis of multiple myeloma, a type of bone marrow cancer, was confirmed. As before, lesions were found on my ribs. Still more tiny ones were newly located on my pelvis, neck, and skull. No doubt the last will be used by some to explain the Republican ballot I cast in 2008.

What’s more, the oncologist informed me that my poor frame was “loaded” with arthritis. I wondered what all that pain was that I was feeling!

Both the doctor and I are confident and upbeat. He feels we caught it very early. Under the old system of classification, it would have been rated a stage 3, but under the modern system it would rank as a stage 1. The doctor himself would probably up it to a ”2”.

We have decided to ride into Dodge City with both guns blazing, and attack aggressively. I have already started a couple of medications. Next mid-week I will commence a form of thalidomide, a medication very familiar to those of us of a "certain age" who recall the terrible deformities it generated among fetuses in the late 1950’s and early 1960’s. I was forced to sign a solemn oath that I would not become pregnant during my course of treatment.

Also mid-week I will commence chemotherapy, approximately twice-a-week for two weeks, then a week-and-a-half’s “vacation”, then another two-week stint. Unlike most such therapy, my visits will last only a few minutes, a lucky break.

I expect to attend school on Monday and Tuesday, May 10-11. After that, I will be out for at least two weeks, at which time I will monitor how the chemo affects me. Sara Colaneri will fill my place, and I am quite sure most ably! I will then consider returning to Tamarac as much as possible, especially I hope for final exams and for Moving Up Day. I feel a bit like I am running out on the kids as well as my colleagues, but I don’t I think I have much of a choice.

Obviously I am now leaning towards retirement. I would have preferred to have taught a few more years. It’s just that I’m not sure that alarm clocks ringing at 5 AM on cold January mornings, and braving the threat of a germ-filled classroom, will contribute to a recovery that requires a stress-free environment and an over-abundance of rest. Donna and I have an appointment with the Teachers’ Retirement System on Monday afternoon, May 10, where I will learn my various financial options. Soon thereafter, I will make a decision.

By fortuitous coincidence (or maybe something more than that), my wife’s daughter Eileen just hours ago graduated from University of Buffalo’s “School of Nutrition and Exercise Science” with a BA. I have become one of her first patients. I will be creating more time for walking and gentle exercise (with bands), based on a program she is designing for me, as well as slimming down to a fighting trim. What’s more, I am getting tons of encouragement from my supportive wife Donna, my wonderful daughter Therese, my brand-new grand-daughter Sarah, and the rest of my family.

So many people have sent cards and forwarded good wishes and prayers that I feel that each one you has been part of the cure. For that I thank you. If there is someone whom you feel wishes to receive this message, please forward it to them for me. I look forward to seeing each of you soon! That will make me feel as well as any medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment