Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Friday, May 21, 2010


This evening I was visited by three angels. They were wingless, and instead of carrying harps, they bore two take-out spaghetti dinners, but I'm sure these angels were from heaven nonetheless.

Their names were Beth, Terri, and Mary Beth. They are three of the many reasons why I DON'T want to retire. They will be sorely missed.

Not only were those meals tasty and badly needed, they brought with them an evening of laughs and good times. Proof just how much good friends can lift spirits. By the end of the visit, my face hurt from laughter. So did the poor diseased bones in my body! But it was worth it. An incredible boost!

There are lots of other angels as well. The expression of thankfulness should not be limited to just Sunday mornings or Thanksgiving Day.

An incredible chicken soup came my way, prescribed by Dr. Donna VZ. So far its healing effects have been far greater than any expensive medication I've ingested. The soup didn't spend very much time in our refrigerator! Seasoned just right! Thanks tons, Donna!

Annette sent a huge tray of lasagna, as well as an apple pie. This is a lady who could grow rich as a caterer. An incredible feed. No weight is being lost at the Peck homestead, thanks to Donna and Annette. Two more reasons NOT to retire.

Family members have been just as supportive and helpful. Step-daughter Jen has sent two wonderful dinners, despite her tight schedule as an elementary teacher and mother of two "active" young boys. I know she is watching over me. Her husband Matt has spent weeks now at the Peck ranch, re-modeling our kitchen and performing an enormous number of chores that I am no longer able to complete. Our household would not have survived without this help.

Step-daughter Eileen came all the way from Buffalo to help for a few days. Her fanatic cleanliness helped us catch up with household chores, and she passed on much advice on exercise and health. Her boyfriend Pat helped with the lawn and screen house. They sacrificed rare days off to do this.

Thanks to all these people who already had more than enough to do before they took care of us. You'll never know how much you are appreciated.

Other angels saved us in a myriad of ways.

My extended Team 8 was the first to come through, having learned early on of my predicament. A hilarious greeting card came my way that was stuffed with cash, a valuable commodity now that money spent on co-pays each month seems almost to rival our mortgage payment! A million thanks go out to Beth, Beckstar*, Mary L, Terri, Patti, Mary Beth, Mike, Michele J, Kevin, and Angie. These are folks with families and bills of their own who could ill-afford to give, and I will never forget your gift!

The "special education" team came through big time, as well. No wonder they call you "special"! A get-well card loaded with cash, plus gift certificates to Starbucks and Applebees! Only a dedicated stalker would know our favorite haunts like the special education team apparently did. You seemed to know automatically that interminable appointments and procedures can mean missed meals at home, especially with the Peck kitchen shut down during this lengthy, major refit. God bless you! We owe Regina, Patti, Mary G, Michelle M, Mike, Sue D, Beth Ci, Alison, Debbie L, Debbie R, Myles, Christine, Sharon, Annette, and Nancy big time.

Some people are working overtime to keep what little is left of the Peck mind occupied. A gift bag containing a biography of Joe DiMaggio and a book on the history of the Erie Canal appeared in the MS office. This mysterious person knows that I read history and baseball almost exclusively. Val, I've told you many times before that you would have made a fantastic history teacher, and that you missed your calling. As my front lawn borders the banks of the original Erie Canal, I'll imagine it all when I sit there to read that book this summer.

My buddies Sandy and Ann are also making sure that my reading stays current. Thank you my friends for the latest loans on Afghanistan and other topics. Your skills on the Amazon website are a source of inspiration to me! Maybe I should take lessons.

So many get-well cards have come my way that our tiny post office in Rexford has had to add extra help, plus build an addition. I'm told it was paid for through the stimulus program. Perhaps the funniest card was sent by Darcy. Laughter can be very painful in my situation, but in this case it was therapeudic for me. Cards have also arrived from Joy and her husband Bill, Linda and her husband Larry, Ron, Dody, Sue N, Catie and her husband Tim, Linda D, Sue S and her family, Nancy and her husband Ralph (who have sent me two!), Annette, Dave and Maryann (who also sent two!), Angel, Lynny, Margaret and her husband Ed, Jean, Margaret and her husband John, Marcia and her husband Paul, Joanne and her husband Dave (who sent two as well!), Linda and her husband Bill, Rita, Lynn, Donna VZ, Pattie K, and Mary E. Wonderful cards came from the Board of Education and the Superintendant, and from the Brittonkill Teachers' Association as well. Who would not be buoyed by all this incredible support?

Many of my students have provided a great lift as well. Individual cards came from Chris S, Taylor S (along with a wonderful bag of chocolates!), Nick M, Tom B, Christian, Jacob E, Ashley B, Sterling, Ryan B, Justin R, Alexis, Casey, and Makayla. In addition, two huge homemade cards were sent my way, signed by most of the members of the class of 2014. I will never forget you!

So you can see I have a lot of people pulling for me. With their help, recovery is a certainty!

No comments:

Post a Comment