Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Friday May 28 - Sunday, May 30

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Family Day today. My treasured hometown relatives travel to Rexford to help me celebrate number 59.

Janie arrives with family artifacts (an antique mailbox sign, and a ceramic pitcher well in excess of 100 years old, used by my grandmother and great-grandmother to pour pancake batter over a century ago). Also arriving in her arms were much needed additions to my library. I’m lucky to have lots of books (but not enough!) on baseball and history, but nothing on RETIREMENT. These volumes will now become the bibles for my new life.

Also here is my treasured Aunt Jean, looking as perky as ever! An inspiration. She has, with the help of cousin Glenn, located a copy of a school project, circa 1940, Roeliff Jansen Central School (“Hail! All Hail! Roe Jan!”). Inside, artwork created by my father when he was 14. Priceless and brilliant. This will be kept forever.

Nobody can perk me up like Janie and Aunt Jean.

Also here are my cousin Mark and his vivacious wife Jane. We don’t see enough of these folks, who always lift my spirits. Mark and I have a wonderful chat, relaxing in the man cave and watching the boats drift by. The day couldn’t be any more perfect!

My daughter Therese and her husband Ben arrive, and I am able for the first time to introduce my side of the family to my new grandchild, Sarah Grace Brigham. It is a thrill. The next generation is finally arriving. I’m a very proud grandpa!

Donna’s daughter Jen, her husband Matt, and their two young children Sean and Jack arrive. Jen has done so much to make this party happen, and is constantly checking on my progress. She needs to know how grateful I am. Along with food, they bring a Barnes and Noble gift certificate. When I am under "house arrest" and treatment isolation this summer, the reading that all my wonderful relatives and friends has made possible will keep me sane. Thank you!

Soon comes my sister Katie, her husband Phil, and my nephew and niece, Phil and Danielle. Things get even more lively! My sister is good at selecting unusual gifts. First comes a beer glass bearing a rare quote from a giant of American literature.

Can you identify the author?

Filled with mingled beer and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain –
Quaintest thought - queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away:
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today.


Included is a handsome pen of obvious quality. This will get much use. Also, a highly appropriate Winston Churchill magnet (“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”), a trio of high quality journals, and a “pen case” of strong-box-like durability to store my writing utensils. I don’t know if my sister is aware that I have a small collection of high-quality pens, but her gift is perfect to house and display them. And I see what she is trying to do. What with handsome leather-bound and moleskin-bound journals and fancy writing instruments, she is encouraging me to professionalize my approach to writing and spurring me on. She’s the best!

Dinner is terrific. What with food left over from parties on Friday, Saturday, and today, Donna and I are well taken care of. People can’t know how much they have helped make our lives easier, and we owe everyone a world of thanks. Please know that this comes from a household that regards leftovers as TREATS. It’s true.

For our party's centerpiece, a beautiful bouquet of white daisies, striking and attractive. Like Friday's flowers, they add an emotional lift and a touch of beauty that only Mother Nature at her best can offer.

My birthday party ends with tearful goodbyes and thanks, and a lot of great memories. It was a fabulous day!

And I am very tired. Last night’s sleep was not a good one. The humidity remains high, the day very warm, and I am quite out of breath. I hope I was just lively enough at my parties to show how much I appreciated all that was done for me. I'm praying for a good night’s sleep, and trust that I’ll be as good as new tomorrow, Memorial Day.




Saturday, May 29, 2010


Feeling a bit woozy today. A weight on my chest, a shortness of breath. After-affects from the chemo? Perhaps the rising humidity making me uncomfortable? I decide to take it easy today.

Regina and Bob come by for a pleasant afternoon. It is sunny and warm, and we spend it in my man-cave, down by the water, watching yachts sail by and solving world problems. If only Obama would listen to us.

I miss everyone at school, and it’s always nice having them come by to say hello, passing on the latest scandal and lowdown. There’s nothing that perks up one’s energy and spirits and psyche like intrigue!

Special thanks to Regina and Bob.



Friday, May 28, 2010


My birthday. Number 59. Late in the morning, wife says I look very tired, and that I should take a nap. So I do.

While I slumber, mysterious things start to happen. A wonderful horde begins to gather outside my house. Car after car pulls up. They are filled with “uniformed” partiers, two enormous pizzas, a cake, gifts, greeting cards, beverages, flowers, and friends.

They proceed to make it the best birthday ever!

Tamarac people come through again. It’s impossible to stay down too long with friends like this. The day is sunny, the temp just right, and we have the greatest party ever on the lawn.

First, the blue T-shirts, special made. Everyone wears one. On the front, the statement I’ve made every morning on the PA announcements for 25 years: “Go out and make it a great day!” On the back, some of my favorite all-time quotes. For starters: Yogi Berra: “It ain’t over till it’s over!” Animal House: “We’re not gonna let you bad-mouth the United States of America!” I’ll treasure my T-shirt forever!

And an unbelievable collection of gifts! A special patriotic Yankee Candle for my man-cave from Mary Beth, along with a NY Mets bib and sippy-cups for our family’s newest Mets fan. A wonderful book on the Rolling Stones from Sue, who is well-aware of my love for British Invasion music (this will make me feel young again!). From a student comes an incredible baseball satellite digital scoreboard that will help me keep up with scores. Special thanks to Matt W and his wonderful family, who went way overboard! A six-pack of Saranac Pale Ale (the greatest!), which will make me feel better than any medicine the doctor prescribes (but Beckstar*, you probably already knew this!). A gift certificate to Barnes and Noble from Jodi (wonderful!) which will certainly be put to good use (I guess word has gotten around that I love to read, thanks Jodi!).

Lastly, but certainly not least, comes a beautiful copy of the Tamarac Middle School 2010 yearbook! What's more, it's signed by Terri, Beth, Mary, Becky, Sue, Mike, Evan, Brianna, Chris, Rich, and Sara, their words very touching and moving. I will keep this yearbook forever. Terri, it's your handsomest issue yet, a wonderful feather in your cap! Congrats!

And something else came to add a gigantic touch of elegance to our party: a big bouquet of flowers, in patriotic colors, the perfect centerpiece to this party. I love it! What a beautiful boost it provides.

And greeting cards filled with names, all wishing me the happiest of birthdays, and lifting my spirits far higher than any drug ever could. A great one from Margaret, Merry, Angel, Sue, Michelle, Judy, Bonnie, and Linda. This after spending years abusing all these poor people by using them for grade 8 isolation seats. I would have thought they’d be relieved to see me go! Another hilarious card from Carol, Conor, and Bryan that certainly fits my circumstances. Some “birthday sunshine” from Deb and Jennifer, for which I am very grateful. An incredible homemade card from Jen G (how do people create these wonderful miniature works of art?) One of the most hilarious cards I’ve ever seen, this one from Tom and Sarah! And if that wasn’t enough from that household, a “personal” birthday greeting sent by Mary Beth et all from President Obama (well done!). Also received were terrific cards from colleagues like Sue D and Lynn M, all people that are missed very much. From the elementary school came a handsome card with heart-felt words from Judy A. All a real boost!

Other staff members have sent or forwarded cards as well, one of which is in a foreign language! Special thanks go out to Brianna R, and to Ann K

And who else sends me best wishes? My wonderful eighth grade students! How I wish I could be with them, and thank them all personally. Their creativity comes through. A clever homemade birthday jigsaw puzzle-card from Maria C and Alex M (both of whom also sent personal cards!), and another from Paige M and Heather B. Beautiful! Still more puzzle cards, with a personal homemade greetings, from Samantha F and Katelyn M. I promise myself that I will assemble all these puzzles soon. Also, a wonderful homemade card from Seamus K, with a personal message, very moving. Another wonderful homemade card, filled with great personal quotes and a promise of prayers from Soleil P. Thank you Anthony G, Taylor S, Nick Z, Michael B, Samantha K, Brianna F, Halle K, Kayla F, Lee V, Brady M, Sterling K, Bob B, Joey B, Jake C, and Kirk C for your wonderful greetings, each one given a special personal touch that means so much. And a hilarious homemade card from Ariana D, surely a future cartoonist.

And there's more! Additional jigsaw puzzle cards have come in from students! It must be the latest trend. Several came already assembled, these from David N, Taylor S (who has already sent me chocolate!), and Jess M. Four more came in unassembled, and I will need to complete them before I know who sent them. Intrigue! I love it.

What's more, still more greeeting cards, some homemade and some store-bought. Each one is a beauty. Special thanks to Alex M, Rebecca D, Corrin M, Jenna E, Hannah B, Alex H, Eddie P, David N (his second!), Seth M (who knows what illness is like), Deirdre W, Jess M (her second!), Dan M, Taylor S (who always promised to take over for me!), Jacob H (the world's greatest fellow Mets fan), Matt R (who like Jake misses table-top baseball, as do I), Joe H, Kayla R, Jake E, Tom M, Connor T, Connor R, Steve L, Emily S, Anthony G, Adiya H, Ben G, Dakota N, Paige M (her second!), Heather B (her second, too!), Chris S (his second, also!), Tori, Colleen W, Amber M, Antonio D, Jenna K (who's worried that I'll forget her; I won't!), Anne D, Chelsea K, Alexis A, Makayla M, Heather C, Justin R, Jason P (a good friend), Dean W, Carissa, Kiertsen B, Megan G, Chris L (with quotes!), Zack L, Andrew E, Julie H, Joel G, Joe C, Travis S, Zack S, and Collin W.

And that’s not all. Students from the recent past haven’t forgotten me! A wonderful card from Arianna S. A homemade card from Sarah M, and another from Elissa P. I will never forget these wonderful students. In addition, a big card came signed by so many wonderful students from the past. Thank you to Jenna D, Amanda G, Cody S, D.J., Meg, Robyn C, Alex W, Marissa D, Ryan B, Joe G, Mike S, Tom C, Neil S, Cody F, Chelsea A, Jon B, Katie M, Ashley F, Dalton S, Matt P, Mark P, Lisa, Jordan, Andrew K, Ricky R, Evania O, Danielle L, Justin W, Alex C, Andrew M, Cody A, Karryn K, Zack M, Brittany S, Kevin O, Bob C, and Conor P.

So many worked to make this a memorable day, at considerable expense of time and money. What’s more, they journeyed all the way to Rexford on their afternoon off to make it possible. I will never forget what they’ve done, and how good they made me feel. Special thanks go out to Beth, Mary Beth, Mary, Becky, Mike, Kevin and Kelly (and the beautiful latest addition to their household!), Michele, Patti, Terri, Sue, Amy, Evan, Pat, and Sara, as well as to those who wanted to come but couldn’t.

This is the best I’ve felt in a long time!








TBA

No comments:

Post a Comment