Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Monday, May 24, 2010

Not a good day.

My entire body is overwhelmed with aches and pains. Any movement is excruciating, and trying to accomplish something important is impossible.

Today will simply have to be a recovery day. Plenty of R & R. This is not an affliction for people who lack patience, or who are easily bored.

For starters, my left wrist is swollen, red, and tender. This occurs near the site of my last chemo injection.

Another frantic phone call to my wonderful pharmacist sister. Should I dash to the emergency room? After some debate, we decide to wait. See if it gets worse.

Now, as I am prepared by the nurse for today's chemo session, I consult with the doctor. It's possible that an infection has set in, or that some of the chemo, the Velcade, leaked out of the artery. An anti-biotic is prescribed. Still another medication! In addition, moist heat should be applied.

In the meantime, I ask what's in the bag. Velcade only today. However, last week I was told that I'd be receiving a bone-and-calcium-building medication called Aredia weekly, as well, and today would be the day. But no. Someone made a mistake. Now we are told that Aredia is administered only monthly!

There's a point here, folks. Check on your doctors. Ask questions. Make yourself aware of what's going on. Do your homework. You MUST be a part of the supervision of your own care.

For years I have cringed as the general public has lambasted the field of education. Nothing gets done! they say. The industry is failing in its duties. Our statesmen (do we still have some of those?) must introduce a complete overhaul right away. So we have had Education for the Twenty-first Century. Strategic planning. No Child Left Behind. Race to the Top. Madeline Hunter. Brain-based learning.

Having now dealt extensively with the worlds of business and medicine, I can tell you these fields are no better. Delayed treatment. Medications late on arrival. Conflicting advice. Crowded waiting rooms.

Education is not the bugaboo. They all are!

No comments:

Post a Comment