Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sunday, May 23, 2010

A beautiful summer-like evening made even more wonderful by a visit from a friend.

Val came by. We enjoyed a chat in our screen house on the banks of the mighty Mohawk, watching the sun set, listening to the crickets, and talking about everything. It took my mind off of tomorrow's chemo treatment. Val donated three baseball books to the cause, and brought a salad as well as the Sunday newspaper. She knows me so well that she is aware that very few issues of the local rag cross our threshhold. For a third of a century now, whenever something appears in a newspaper that she feels I need to know, she will never fail to notify me! Thanks, Val!

Many kindnesses continue to come our way. Our friends Steve and Lyn, from Witham, Essex, England, recently mailed us a package. They had visited Blenheim, the ancestral home of Winston Churchill, and arranged to send us a decorative magnet, postcards (do they REALLY play cricket in the shadow of the palace?), potpourri, and a kind note. Steve and Lyn know of my admiration for the great British prime minister, and their subliminal message is well-taken. I will need the same bulldog grit and spirit in my own battle that Churchill himself displayed during World War II. The magnet, now prominently displayed on our refrigerator, will remind me of my duty each raid I make there.

So many friends have checked my blog! You have spurred me to continue. Special thanks to Lauren, Linda L, Chris N, Matt C, Peter M, Bethany Ann, Liz S, Eileen, Jen F, Cindy, Mandy (thanks again for your kind words!), Mary Beth, Katie, and Therese for looking in and for caring.

Some visitors even left messages of encouragement! Please know that your words are taken to heart with each repeated reading. Special thanks to Shelia (sorry about that spelling bee long ago), HeidiTri (it's always great to hear from former students), Carolyn "Carolina Moon" and Pat (two people who personify grit and spirit as much as Churchill, maybe even more), Sara B (I promise to try to pass some of that grit on to the Mets!), Peggy, JoAnn P, and Rachael (all the way from Australia!).

Everyone made it a beautiful weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment