Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Retirement Dinner - Saturday June 12


Grand milestone last Saturday evening - Peckster finally retired after 33 years of teaching with a total accumulation of about 350 remaining sick days he had not used! Although upset about being forced to retire due to his health issues, Ed realizes it's necessary to battle this disease. 14 outstanding educators were honored at the Franklin Terrace venue with high praise and accolades. Surrounded by his co-workers, family and friends, Ed was "roasted" by his former student, student teacher, and mentee - Christopher Michael. It was terrific catching up with current and former colleagues throughout the evening.

Ed and I had prepared speeches and power point presentations for our friends Sue, Mary, and Janet. After finding out there wasn't going to be power point equipment available at the dinner - Ed flew out the door at 3:00 in the afternoon to purchase a power point projector from Office Max which came with a free screen. A great investment. Now we can have Saturday night film festivals watching "Ben Ten Super Alien Force" with our grandson Sean.

Ed made it through the evening, but sorely paid the next day with extreme tiredness and pain.
After resting all day, we attended our niece's recital at "The Egg". What are the odds that Danielle's performance was the very first presentation! We were able to sneak out after her 10 minute stunning rendition of "Oh Baby Baby". She is American Idol bound for sure!
Home again to gear up for Ed's long chemo treatment Monday morning.




Friday, June 11, 2010

Our good friends Linda and Bill D arrive during the mid-afternoon. They have already been incredibly generous with cards and gifts, and a series of incredibly eloquent letters, but they come with still more: takeout dinners from Ma and Pa’s well-known eatery in Granville. This is one of our favorite restaurants, and we chow down like we haven’t eaten in days. Afterwards, we move to the man-cave, and watch the river and the yachts roll by. It’s a beautiful day, made even more special by this visit. It reminds me how much all of my friends have worked to raise my spirits, and how valuable one’s friends are.

Thanks to Linda and Bill, and to Ma and Pa!





Monday, June 7, 2010

My week’s vacation from chemo is over. I must say that, except for the pneumonia, I have been feeling pretty good. Now that will end.

I don’t want to be seen criticizing the chemo, however. Cancer with chemo is better than cancer without it. I have to believe it is helping. Some of my pain has begun to decline.

Some patients have a tough time with the chemo. I’m not sure why, but mine is not as tough as it is for some. The queasy stomach, the malaise, the headache, and the arthritis-like stiffness are still there, but in my case they are bearable. What’s more, I sometimes spend only an hour-and-a-half to two hours for my treatments. Some patients are tethered to their IVs considerably longer.

I count myself lucky.




Sunday, June 6, 2010

It’s party time!

A group of close friends have pooled their considerable talents to arrange for a wonderful soiree for some of Tamarac’s retirees. When our friends Marcia, Linda, and Joanne get together, you know it will be a great time. We owe them a world of thanks.

For a time, I worry that my slow recovery from pneumonia will prevent me from attending, but today I feel just well-enough to attend. And for sure, it will be a great morale booster.

The rain is heavy, but Marcia’s home is just perfect for a party. Friends have contributed enormous amounts of food, and the tables groan with the weight of confections, snacks, eats, and beverages. Everyone is upbeat. It’s a fabulous tonic.

I am able to park myself on a settee, and converse at length, often with people I am now unable to see on a regular basis, friends like Peter, Joanne, Cindy, Dave, Maryann, Irene, Craig, Sue N, Marcia, Beth, Sue B, Linda, and Val. We laugh so hard it hurts my poor bones.

At the end, we are sent home with some luscious dessert, and a touching greeting card from the hosts. It contains a bookmark that I will use often this summer to remind me of a great time.

Thanks to all who helped raise my spirits. It’s impossible to stay down for long when you are with this crew!

No comments:

Post a Comment