Thursday, June 10, 2010

Monday, May 31 - Saturday, June 5, 2010

Disaster! Pneumonia!

Looks like my self-diagnosis of high heat, increasing humidity, or trouble sleeping was just slightly off.

I read somewhere that the first 3-5 days after a round of chemo is when a patient is most vulnerable to new infections. If so, this pneumonia then was right on schedule.

My night's sleep on Sunday, May 30 was very poor. There was a constant rumble in my bronchial tubes and chest, and laying in bed increased the agony. I tried to sleep sitting up, which necessitated a night-long shuffling of pillows and blankets to try to make such an act possible. It wasn't. Zero rest that night. And probably no more than that for my bride.

Monday morning, Memorial Day, (a good day to need a doctor), we made a call to my oncologist, and were directed to the emergency room at Samaritan Hospital in Troy. We spent most of the day there, fascinated as we were by the various clientel, victims of domestic violence, alcohol abuse, and lack of insurance or traditional medical care. I was very impressed with our own care, as its staff worked to ease my breathing, monitor my numbers, and determine appropriate treatment.

By evening, I felt a bit better and was discharged. I left with two cough medications and an antibiotic. Unfortunately, my improvement lasted but a short time.

For the next four nights, my condition was the same. Almost no sleep, and a constant rumble and cough, often dry. Had Samaritan struck out? Calls there advised me to continue with the medication. I was told it was the best there is.

Yesterday, Friday, June 4, I was slightly improved. The cough became productive. The chest pressure eased slightly. The medication was working, and this without any help from the destroyed immune system in my body. A big disappointment, though. Due to my illness, I was forced to forego an invitation to a luncheon at Val's FACS class at Tamarac. This is always a highly regarded affair. I felt terrible that I would miss Val, my team, and the students that I was looking forward to seeing. But I had no choice.

Today, Saturday, I am improved still more. Six hours of sleep last night! A bonanza! Cough is improved, and chest pressure reduced still more. I actually leave the house and take a short ride to the pharmacy! I finally feel like I am on the road to recovery. But it's also depressing to know that my treasured week free of chemo was wasted in a sick bed.

1 comment:

  1. Oblivious as ever, I had no idea what was going on until I happened to catch someone's comment tonight on Mrs. Peck's Facebook page. I don't imagine there's much I can say that everyone else hasn't already said, but I just wanted you to know that you are both in my prayers (as I marvel still at your positive attitude, sense of humor, and irrepressible totally-Peckster spirit). Be well.

    ReplyDelete