Thursday, June 24, 2010

8th Grade Graduation Wednesday June 23rd


A bittersweet day today. It's Eighth Grade Moving Up Day, the middle school equivalent of graduation, and it will be the last function ever for me at Tamarac. I grew quite attached to this year's class, and I feel the need to be there to send them to high school. I must be very careful however. My weakened immune system makes me very vulnerable to germs and infection, so I must limit my exposure to crowds and hand-shaking. Even though I'd love to offer huge greetings to all the students, past and present, I can't give my pneumonia an opportunity to make a comeback. The best I can do is give all the members of my treasured Class of 2014 a big wave. I hope they understand.
Thirty-one of my 33 years at Brittonkill were spent in Grade 8. It was about time I was promoted to the next level! Our superintendant, Lou, made sure that would happen when, early in the ceremony, he formally presented me with a Certificate of Promotion. The standing ovation I received from all present will always be one of the highlights of my life. Thank you everyone!
Near the end of the ceremony, two students offered testamonials to me, and to the other retiring grade 8 teacher, Mary L. Eighth grader Matt M gave a wonderful speech, one that I will never forget. A big thank you, Matt! At the end he called me to the podium, the curtains were drawn, and a huge banner was displayed. It contained my name, and the statement I used to wrap up morning announcements every school day for the past quarter century: "Go Out and Make It A Great Day!". Matt announced that the banner will be displayed in the Middle School cafeteria next year.
The Grade 8 Team did an incredible job putting together this year's ceremony. I was no help at all, an embarrassing admission. One cannot find better colleagues than those staff members. Special thanks go out to Beth C, Mary L, Becky T, Mike B, Michele J, and Kevin O, as well as to my replacement, Sara C, who did such an admirable job. In the office, Barb B and Carol P were no doubt instrumental, as well. I will miss you all incredibly.
Tamarac has a great future ahead. The economy will recover. Our leadership situation has stabilized, and has great plans. I find it exciting. I had always expected to help Brittonkill reach for the stars. Now, suddenly, I will not be there. It's not a good feeling, but I must choose to adjust to the realization.

2 comments:

  1. This feels like a fitting time to say Thank you. And, to share my "Mr. Peck made a difference in my life" story with you.
    It was mid way through 8th grade, and I was "performing poorly". So, the 8th grade team requested a conference with my parents and me. I remember a few things about the meeting. I remember my parents were mortified; the room was intimidating; and I desperately wanted to not care about any thing that was said. All my walls were up, and I was ready for battle. The other teachers spoke at me, or to my parents. They talked about all the negative things they saw in me.
    Then, it was your turn, Mr. Peck. You looked me in the eye, spoke directly to me, and told me about the good qualities you saw in me. You spoke about the potential you saw, and the things that I had done right that year. You talked about believing in me and my abilities.
    Your conversation with me that day, made all the difference in the world. I have thought of it often over the years, as I've gone through school.
    and I think of it now, in my career. Every time I meet with a participant who is relapsing,or struggling to move forward. Every time I meet with a staff member for disciplinary reasons, I apply the lessons I learned from you on that day.
    Thank you. I imagine that I am not the only former student following this blog who has a "Mr. Peck made a difference story."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm crying my eyes out - that's a great story!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete