Friday, December 10, 2010

Thursday, December 9, 2010


Victory!

Almost...

Good news this morning. After a review of all my numbers, Dr. Shapiro informed me at today's consultation that a second stem cell transplant will not be necessary.

One can imagine the relief that I felt. A second transplant could well have been another arduous journey, plagued with side effects, exhaustion, possible chemo, daily or almost daily trips to the hospital, constant blood tests, more worry and work on the part of my sorely-tested, exhausted bride, and a life that would continue to be placed on hold. I was of course willing to endure it, but I'd rather not.

With this latest news, we can now plan ahead. Trips to see family, friends, and historical sites. More time to play with my cute little granddaughter. More opportunity to get tasks done around the house. More freedom. And confidence in the future. A real retirement. Life as it should be lived.

But it's not over. I haven't forgotten that there is no cure for multiple myeloma. No doubt I'll be plagued with continuing side effects, disability, and tiredness, quite possibly for the rest of my life. There will be regular checkups to monitor my health and progress. And still more testing is needed to guarantee my current diagnosis of a clean slate. Soon, perhaps, I will have to undergo an MRI, possible x-rays, and a scan to ensure the health of my bones and marrow. There will be, I suppose, other tests. All this will be done to keep a close eye on the myeloma, catch it early if and when it resurfaces, and begin new treatments in a timely manner. We will need to be ever vigilant.

My medication regimen will be modified. Since I currently am very susceptible to shingles, I will need to continue my Bactrim regimen for about a year. I will also be placed on a maintenance medication; once again I will commence a treatment with Revlamid, the thalidomide derivative that was, in my particular case, so wildly successful in knocking back my bone marrow cancer from 90% saturation in May to remission today. This drug is strictly controlled, and I will once again need to sign an affidavit promising that I will not get pregnant, and endure regular phone interviews that monitor my handling of the medication. My new Revlamid dose will be 10 mg, (as opposed to the 25 mg I began in May), three weeks on and one week off. With this adjustment in the strength of the medication, I'm hoping that the drug's side effects will be lessened; with luck, aches and pains will be reduced, and the reduction in blood proteins that makes me more susceptible to infections will be moderated. I'll need to be careful.

But all this is doable. For now, I have my life back. For that, I must give thanks to the tsunami of relatives and friends who helped us, to the field of medicine and the selfless personnel who strove to conquer this affliction and treat me, and to the millions who donated money to the War on Cancer. It's the season to express our gratitude, but it would be impossible for me to adequately do justice in that regard for you all. But I will start with a simple "thank you" to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment