Saturday, November 13, 2010

Thursday, November 5, 2010


It's Guy Fawkes Day in England, celebrated, I'm told, with bonfires and effigies and parties, all to observe a failed 1605 Catholic plot by that terrorist and his co-conspirators to blow up Parliament and rid the country of its state church. I imagine its ultimate effect was to solidify Anglicanism instead, earning much reprobation for Catholic radicals.

Here in America, we have enjoyed a pleasant week. Our friend Theresa was married on Saturday in a spectacular ceremony and reception. She deserved to be on the cover of Brides magazine! On Monday our long-time colleagues Sue N and Val D brought lunch and companionship, always a pick-me-up from these friends. What's more, we enjoyed at the same time a short surprise visit from our old friend Vinnie, a boost that no medication could ever duplicate. Thank you for everything, folks!

In the meantime a surprise package arrives in the mail. A handsome edition of the King James Bible, a gift from our friends Bill and Linda. Cancer centers often tout the value of religion in contributing to recovery, and my friends have helped make sure that heaven's help is made part of my healing process. I owe them. What's more, in recent years I have read a couple of fabulous books on the story of the creation of the KJB ("Wide As the Waters" by Benson Bobrick, and "God's Secretaries", by Adam Nicolson), and one becomes convinced that divine intervention must have been a part of the team that created this stunning work of art. Thank you Linda and Bill!


Santa Claus also came early! On Friday November 5th Shawn H. and Sue D. dropped off a delivery of 4 days worth of dinners from the Meyers Center VOTEC Culinary Program. These students will eventually end up on the food network! Shawn and Sue saved the day. (Actually four days!)

On Tuesday I consulted with Dr. Mccomber, a plastic surgeon who will remove a mole from my scalp, a procedure now scheduled for December 15. If I end up with a bald dome, a choice I may very well elect to make, I want it to be as smooth, defect-free, and handsome as possible!

A major event, however, occurred earlier today: an appointment with my stem cell oncologist, Dr. Shapiro. I am two-thirds of the way through my 100-day hiatus, at the end of which a bone marrow test will determine if there is any cancer left in my body. If there is, I will undergo a second stem cell transplant, sometime after mid-December. If no cancer is detected, no transplant will be needed. I imagine, in that event, that I would commence some sort of maintenance medication. For now, I am on no anti-cancer meds at all.

My appointment with Dr. Shapiro is highly encouraging. Blood numbers continue to improve. I appear to be in good health. My energy level, my eyesight, and the neuropathy in my feet are all slightly improved.

My feet are currently my biggest concern. They continue to be alternately numb and painful, with discomfort that feels like pins and needles, and shards of glass poking through my skin. My soles have been quite tender. A number of recommendations have been made to me by medical personnel and friends: apply cocoa butter, or capsacian. Neither appears to help. In fact, they seem to increase the discomfort. Also, begin a program of vitamin and supplement therapy that includes lots of B vitamins, vitamin E, acetyl L-carnitine, omega-3 gelcaps, etc. This gets expensive. However, under the theory that one cannot put a price on health, and that it must be good for you even if it does nothing for the neuropathy, I cheerfully begin this regimen. Finally, on a whim, I mail-order from Hammacher-Schlemmer an electric foot massager, a device consisting of a rotating drum festooned with knobs that massage the soles of my feet while I'm seated in an easy chair reading or watching the news. I experienced a large lump in my throat while signing the sizeable check, but I now realize there was no need for my trepidation. The massager is terrific! It seems to do my feet much more good than any other approach. Definitely worth the money.

So for now, my recovery slowly continues. But I await with some anxiety my December 9th appointment with Dr. Shapiro, where I learn of my next step in my fight against multiple myeloma.

No comments:

Post a Comment