Monday, November 15, 2010

Monday, November 15, 2010


I didn't think there could possibly be any miracles left in store for Donna and me. Surely, I had concluded, we have more than exhausted the store of heaven's favors allotted to us.

But I was wrong. Yesterday, one of the most astonishing events of my life occurred. And we weren't even here to witness it. The story of my life: always a day late and a dollar short!

While Donna and I were away, a horde of friends descended, locust-like, on our home, armed with rakes, tarps, leaf-blowers, gardening gloves, and incredible hearts, and proceeded with a vengeance to attack the leaves that had buried our lawn. A case of beer and a few hours later, the grounds looked like the gardens of Versailles palace.

That, folks, is the very essense of the term "miracle."

I'm not sure, but I think this story perhaps begins the day before, Saturday, with a visit from two Beths: Beth C and MaryBeth. We have concluded that they were serving as spies in the guise of guests. They made note of the despicable condition of our lawn, shin-deep in dead leaves. They then, it seems, proceeded to organize a surrepticious attack on our property, like a Chinese human-wave, its goal to eradicate the botanic enemy. It was an astonishing show of generalship.

I can testify that the deadly foe never had a chance. Not a single leaf was left to threaten our position. The attack was a huge success. The Taliban would quake with fear when faced with a strike-force of this fervor. Unbelievable!

How does one thank an army? I don't know, but I must try. To the incredible team of Beth C and MaryBeth B, I add David C, Drew C, Barry B, Tom B, Sarah B, Ralph D, Terri M, Mary L, Christine S, Brennan, Jeff C, Ali C, Brendan C, Emma C, Mike and Jeanine B and family, Patti L, Kerry O, Sue N, Evan L, Amy S, Maizie S, Angie W, Margaret M, Paul N, Eric M and family, Michelle M, Taylor, Amie B, Torin B, Dr. Alex S, Mary Lynn W, Don W, Michele J, Sharon L, Chris S, and last but not least, Reilly M. I hope I didn't accidently leave anyone out.

I don't know what I could possibly do here to truly thank everyone. The only answer, I think, is to "pay it forward." I'm going to start by doing all I can to help my 97-year-old, widowed neighbor with her leaves. As you could see, her situation isn't all that different from mine. Only she's in better health.

God bless you all.

1 comment:

  1. Ed how exciting to hear how God is working in your life. God is good.
    Ed, please know you have a cousin on the West coast praying for you

    ReplyDelete