Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Monday, November 29, 2010

Today's consultation with my oncologist was an important one. Within the next few weeks, a determination will be made whether or not to undergo a second stem cell transplant. Blood tests taken this morning will help in making that decision.

The good news is that my blood results today were terrific. Red and white cell counts and plasma readings all look great. I've gained six pounds, thanks in part to the recent holiday and lots of good home cooking. I'm being well taken care of! (Probably too well.)

Not all blood readings could be processed today, however. On December 9, I have a consultation at Albany Medical Center with my stem cell oncologist. At that time, he will look at my recent history and at the full battery of blood tests to determine if a second stem cell transplant is needed. It's 50-50.

I must admit I'm a bit apprehensive. A second transplant and subsequent recovery period would seem like a step backward to me. The first procedure was tough, though not as bad as I expected. I sure would like to avoid a second one. But I've rallied through worse before, and I know I can do it again. Bring it on.

Tonight, at the Brunswick Library, an organizational meeting will be held to begin organizing the benefit "(Make It A) Great Day" half-marathon and walk, scheduled for Sunday, June 5, 2011 (the corrected date). Donations will support the Capital District Cancer Resource Foundation, a charity that offers assistance to area cancer victims who lack the full resources needed to treat this illness. I've witnessed this event's chief organizer, Heidi Bentley Barcomb, in action, and she is a tornado in running shoes. I will help this initiative in any way I can, and I know an army of former students is doing the same. I admire you all, and thank you, too.

Now go out and make it a great day!


P.S. Contact Heidi at heidibarcomb@thedragonflyadventure.com to find out how to help. Learn why the dragonfly has become the symbol of this event.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the kind words. The meeting was small but productive.

    Good luck at your appointment this Thursday.

    ReplyDelete