Saturday, March 26, 2011

Friday, March 25, 2011

The centenary of the famed Triangle Shirtwaist Fire in NYC.


Dear diary,


Confirmed!

At my Friday, March 11 appointment, my stem cell oncologist agreed with my chemo oncologist that my blood and bone marrow cancer is in REMISSION.

This is doubly reassuring, not only because a second doctor has pronounced that treasured diagnosis, but in light of the recent pains I have been experiencing in my torso that brought back reminders of those excruciating weeks last spring. It appears that there is no cause for alarm. Blood readings are near normal, and x-rays found no problems. I am relieved.

But not totally. A horrendous cold has plagued me for two weeks, sapping my energy and making each task a huge chore. Fortunately, the symptoms have been limited to congestion and headaches. No sore throats or high temperatures. I suppose that this can be interpreted as a good sign. My compromised immune system has at least been able to limit the effects of this latest affliction. No illness is so incapacitating that it can't be ameliorated at least in part by a good book!

Even with this cold, my life is now assuming a tempo close to normal. In recent weeks I have enjoyed breakfasts, lunches, and dinners with many different friends. I am now traveling with my bride frequently to run errands or shop or see children and grandchildren. My hair is almost back to normal, although it seems to be of a slightly different texture and style than before. I began to discard my baseball hats in early February. And I can begin now to look forward to a warm spring (whenever it chooses to get here), and to an enjoyable summer, complete with visits to the Adirondacks. We have a trip to California planned for the first two weeks of May, and relatives and friends are scheduled to visit in September. Meanwhile, I can putter around on my lawn or in my garage, although the days of toting patio block and splitting firewood are over for good. Light work only!

I am reminded of the capriciousness of life. All this progress and all these plans could easily be wisked away. I can't take them for granted. The squandering of time is as much a sin as the wasting of any natural resource. And time is what life is made of.

No comments:

Post a Comment