Thursday, October 28, 2010

Tuesday, October 26, 2010



Check off another experience on my personal "to-do" list. Today, we toured Monticello, the world-famous estate of Thomas Jefferson, author of the Declaration of Independence and third President of the United States.

After learning of the great man's huge accomplishments, and after seeing his artistic genius on display in the design and construction of this house and grounds, one cannot help but be awestruck. It is certainly one of the most beautiful and inspiring sites on the face of the earth.

Having done volumes of reading on Monticello in the past, I made sure that I strolled on the serpentine walk in the home's backyard, marveling at the colorful display of flowers that lined it, and I made note of every item on display in Jefferson's "cabinet", his study and library located next to his bedroom. Moments later, I imagined myself at table conversing with Jefferson in the sunny, crystaline "tea room", and I experienced envy at his well-stocked wine and beer cellar. Our entourage also paid due reverence at the cemetery down the hill, where I was extremely moved. Others may have preferred the entryway, decorated with Native American artifacts and his famous clock, or perhaps the parlor, where his harpsicord and pianoforte were on display. Whatever one's preference, no one can dispute that every inch of this estate is magnificent, and not to be missed by anyone.

A red-letter day in my life, made all the more memorable by the company of my wonderful wife, and my treasured sister, brother, and sister-in-law, all of whom helped to make it possible. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment