Friday, October 8, 2010

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Dear Diary,

Today was a big day. A major consultation took place with my stem cell oncologist. The purpose was to obtain a snapshot of where we are now, and find out what might be happening in the future.

The news so far is good. A blood test indicated that red and white blood cells and platelets continue to increase, and my energy level, ability to fight infection and disease, as well as other factors, have all improved slightly. I can now resume all non-related medications, and drink our well water. I'm starting to drive a little more, and do some light chores for an hour or two. I can mix a bit more with healthy people, and play with my new granddaughter. Life will be a little more normal.

There are still some restrictions, however. I cannot be innoculated with any flu vaccines, or be near people who have had recent live vaccines. Obviously this logically means I should avoid people who may be ill, whether they have the flu or any other affliction. The possibility of contracting shingles, or some other virus, or even a bacterial infection, looms like a Halloween goblin. My stomach continues to be a bit tender, and I'm still unable to eat large meals. This is probably healthier, and cannot be viewed as a negative. I've been lucky: my appetite has, almost all along, been fine. Nevertheless, diarrhea is still an occasional problem. Finally, my feet, afflicted with neuropathy, continue to be very tender. My eyesight is still a bit blurry as well.

I still can get dizzy at times, especially when first standing up after sitting or reclining. Standing is something I must do slowly, like an old person (Whoops! Now I'M old!). What's more, I'm still experiencing some forgetfulness and brain fog, but there are those who would testify I have been guilty of those issues well before the Big C arrived, especially from friends of different political persuasions and sports team loyalties. I've lost some muscle tone and strength, and will eventually need to start an exercise program. In addition, I've lost a bit of weight. Not a lot. This, too, cannot be considered much of a negative, as I certainly could afford to lose some, and still can. Finally, I must ingest a ton of medications each day. The accumulation of side effects must be considerable, but I think I should be glad that such effects aren't far worse. I really have little by way of complaint in that regard. I know how lucky I am.

What does the future hold? The oncologist has indicated that I must still undergo a weekly blood test to monitor my progress. There will be a handful of consultations with my stem cell sawbones and my chemo oncologist in the coming weeks. In about two months, officially 100 days after my stem cell transplant, a big test will be administered. If I am clear of cancer, I will probably commence some sort of maintenance medication. If a bit of myeloma is still detected, I will probably undergo a second stem cell transplant. Chances appear to be 50-50. This approach is new. Much of my program is still experimental, but the very latest research seems to indicate that this schedule is the greatest guarantee of success. I feel I'm in good hands.

I continue to be extremely confident. I feel the worst is over, and that I'm able to enjoy my family, and the fall weather and colors a bit. I consider myself to be extremely lucky.

And one more thing. I want to thank Justin Bieber for singing Happy Birthday to me.

1 comment:

  1. No. He. Did. Not! :-)

    So glad to hear life is getting more normal for you again; and it will keep getting better. You've made great progress!

    ReplyDelete