Saturday, July 10, 2010

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Important medical testing today.

Doctors and insurance companies need assurance that my heart is strong enough for my stem cell procedure, now tentatively scheduled for August 12. I will undergo some sort of nuclear test to see how well the ticker is pumping.

I report to radiology at Albany Medical Center. They are efficient and timely, notions many people do not commonly observe in this industry. A vial of blood is drawn, and then processed while you wait, a procedure that takes less than an hour. I'm thankful that my friend Sandy has loaned me a terrific book, a classic named With The Old Breed, by E.B. Sledge, about the Pacific war. I'm actually sorry to see the hour wait come to an end!

The processed blood is re-injected into your system. Next, a series of "pictures" is taken of your torso to get an idea how well your heart is pumping. Not long after, you are back on your way! All-in-all, not a procedure to be feared.

In a matter of days, my Revlimid regime may come to a temporary end, depending upon my progress. At that juncture, the mandatory four-week-wait commences in preparation for my stem cell operation.

A lot of trepidation here. During my three week quarantine, what will be my limitations? Will I be able to have visitors? Leave the premises? After my super-chemo in early September, my white blood count will be zero. How susceptible will I be to disease? Will my activities be strictly limited? How will I feel? Will I lose my hair (or what's left of it after the ravages of Mother Nature)? I'm told that later in September, or in October, I will feel a vast improvement. It's possible that this affliction has compromised my system for many years before it revealed itself. Will I feel better than ever? Funny thing: at the end of this treatment, I will need to be re-innoculated for ALL of my childhood diseases!

I am anxious to move forward! The progress of my improvement seems to have stalled. Although my pain level is definitely better than it was two or three months ago, it has NOT improved in recent weeks. Some days my progress even seems to recede. This often comes the day after I try to do a few simple chores, like minor cleaning or light lawn work or long trips in the car. Perhaps I am expecting too much. I can't push it, and must accept that my activity level is still very limited.

Fortunately I never feel bad after reading! Thanks Sandy!

1 comment:

  1. Keeping you in my thoughts and pulling for you Mr. Peck! :)

    ReplyDelete