Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

It's a bitterly cold and blustery day here in Rexford, NY. Perfect for staying indoors, and taking stock of where I am and how I got here.

Job 1 is to make sure that I lose no ground. I've come so far. I must resolve to pay close attention to all my doctors, heed their views, and adhere to their recommendations. Stay on top of my medication schedule and my nutrition, and try to listen to what my body is telling me. Begin to crank up my exercise routine, and build and restore my body. Realize that my days as an "Olympic athlete" are over (snicker-snicker), and move now at a more reasonable and productive pace. Do all that will prevent retreat.

Just as important: thank those who helped and supported me. The army that backed me up would have routed Genghis Khan. It starts with my wife, daughter, and sister, and continues with my brothers, step-mom, in-laws, step-children, cousins, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, other relatives, and all my friends. It has been said that the gift of healing is fostered by a supportive social network. After thinking of all those mentioned above, I realize now that I couldn't help but achieve remission.

Part of that army was the huge team of friends who contributed as well. The number of phone calls, letters, visits, lunches and dinners out, e-mails, Facebook greetings, and well-wishes has been uncountable. So many sent greeting cards, gift cards, books, magazines and magazine subscriptions, food, desserts, favors, and blessings my way that I began to feel like a pasha on the Turkish throne! From Peter, who hand-knitted a prayer shawl (it obviously worked!), to Linda, Bill, Barb, and Frank (who gave till it must have hurt), to the wonderful forty friends who showed up to rake my lawn (and the countless others who would like to have been able to come but couldn't), to those who contributed to and arranged for a wonderful new picnic table for under my tree, knowing this would permit me to relax and recover outdoors.

Some have arranged for us incredible vacations, real time to heal and relax. To Ann, Sandy, Tom, and Judy we owe a huge "thank you" for two wonderful weeks at a stunning beach front condo in Naples, Florida (I highly doubt there is a more beautiful spot in the world). How does one repay such generosity for THAT? Also in Florida, Scott and Marsha, my in-laws, were incredibly generous with their home and their culinary talents (they should have their own TV show). Even more heroes helped us reach Florida. Aaron and Kristie made their own bed ours, a huge sacrifice. It was a great time to visit with John and Jan, treasured brother and sister-in-law. Hearts were lifted.

To Sue, we owe much for healing time-outs on Cape Cod (a great place to clear one's head and heal the bod. She has the key to a balanced life!). And a wonderful long weekend at Salem, Massachusetts, filled with tales, laughs, beverages, food, and road trips was hosted by Richard and Rich. Thanks to all!

The list goes on and on. They are all unthankable, due to their sheer numbers, and for the monumental contributions they made to my recovery. What words could possibly be adequate?

Finally, I must mention the incredibly competent medical personnel who treated me. Please know that at no time did I ever doubt that you would succeed, and at no time did I ever question your course of action. You were all that convincing, that professional, and that powerful. And it's obvious that you deserved my trust. I hope it showed. You made it an incredible ride.

You all got me to where I am today. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment